Labels

Tuesday 24 May 2011


Healthy Root Vegetable Chips

I absolutely love the farmers market in Halifax, and I make it a priority to wake up early and go every Saturday. I bring reusable bags and about $30, and buy more than enough produce and other yummy goods to last Mike and I for the week! Going to the market saves me money, supports Canadian farmers, helps the environment by eating locally, in season and mostly organic, and also gives my body a wider variety of nutrients as I  try to buy a new vegetable every time I go!

Last weekend, among many other items, I came home with a bag of root vegetables. Tonight I made root vegetable chips. They were much healthier than a standard bag of potatoes chips and they were very tasty!


Ingredients:

3 beets
1 sweet potato
2 Parsnips
1.5 tbs. of finely chopped fresh rosemary
3 cloves of garlic, minced
1 tsp of salt, more to taste
¼ cup of extra virgin olive oil
1 tbs of finely chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Directions:

1.     Preheat the oven to 425° conventional bake
2.     Line 2 large baking sheets with tin foil and olive oil spray
3.     Mix the garlic, rosemary, salt and oil together in a large bowl
4.     Thinly slice the parsnips and yams, toss them in the garlic mix and place on   the pan in a single layer
5.     Repeat with the beets
6.     Cook for 20- 30 minutes or until they brown along the edges, flip half way through.
7.      Sprinkle on the parsley.







No comments:

Post a Comment