Labels

Tuesday 24 May 2011

Lunchtime Blues Vegetarians? Not at Rangoli by Alyssa Dawson


Reposted with permission by Alyssa Dawson
Well I’m going to narrow down those choices for you.  If you have a 30 minute lunchbreak and need a great bite to eat to keep you inspired for the rest of the day, check out VJ’s sister restaurant, Rangoli.
I went today, and was in and out in under 10 minutes, but I never felt rushed.  Even on a to-go order like mine, service was fantastic.  I was taken to a comfortable seat to wait and brought water (as if I wasn’t already salivating enough with the unbelievable fragrant aroma).  And then before I knew it, my food was brought to me with a smile.  I now know that smile essentially said ‘This is your new addiction. You’ve been warned.’
Portobello Red Pepper Curry @ Rangoli
When I got back to my office and opened up the paper bag, I saw beautifully vibrant colours that completely pulled me into the dish: a portobello, red pepper curry with a beet salad and naan bread.  I have successfully polished it off now, and I can tell you, you get your $13.50 worth; it did the unthinkable – my bottomless pit (a.k.a. my stomach) is full!  The beet salad offered up a crisp texture and palate cleanser for the curry filled with huge chunks of portobello mushrooms, red bell peppers, and creamy paneer (Indian cheese which tastes quite a bit like cottage cheese believe it or not). Truly a fantastic dish for vegetarians and meat-eaters alike.  The only bit of criticism I could throw in would be that the naan bread was slightly rubbery, but seeing as it was 20 minutes until I got back to my office, I’ll give Rangoli the benefit of the doubt and put that one on the traveling Cuisine Queen.
All in all a fantastic lunch excursion in Downtown Vancouver.  (4.5/5 Crowns)
Location: 1488 West 11th Avenue, Vancouver, BC
If you have any tips, questions, or fab finds of your own, let your local Cuisine Queen know! xx

No comments:

Post a Comment